Our mission is to empower activists, journalists, and policymakers to shape effective criminal justice policy, so we go beyond our original reports and analyses to curate a database of virtually all the empirical criminal justice
research available online.
Tips: If you know what you are looking for, you may also search the database. We also have an email newsletter (at right)(at bottom) for new research library updates.
- Community Impact (165) Impact of justice system on communities, includes housing, employment, schools
- Conditions of Confinement (274)
- Crime and Crime Rates (335) Information on type of crime/frequency
- Death Penalty (148) Data, policy, and analysis of the death penalty
- Disability (10)
- Drug Policy (174) Analysis of drug policy and its effects on the prison system
- Economics of Incarceration (224) The economic drivers and consequences of mass incarceration
- Education (94) Correctional education and the school-to-prison pipeline
- Families (105) The justice system's impact on families.
- Felon Disenfranchisement (86) Barring people from the polls because of criminal convictions
- General (79) Atlases, indices, and broad-based source material
- Gun Control (46) Statistics on gun violence, suggestions for gun control
- Health impact (118) Public health, access to healthcare, and mortality
- Immigration (46) Detainment practices and statistics
- Incarceration Rates Growth Causes (414)
- International Incarceration Comparisons (52)
- Jails (177) Information and data on jails
Can't find what you are looking for?
Enter one word from the title, author or topic to search the library:
Advanced search options or view entire database by the date added.
Some of the most recently added reports are:
Thursday, May 2 2019:
Wednesday, May 1 2019:
- Can We Downsize Our Prisons and Jails Without Compromising Public Safety?
Findings from California's Prop 47,
Bradley J. Bartos and Charis E. Kubrin.
- Criminal Justice Administrative Fees:
High Pain for People, Low Gain for Government,
The Financial Justice Project of San Francisco.
- Prisoners in 2017
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Jail Inmates in 2017
Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Heat in U.S. Prisons and Jails
Corrections and the Challenge of Climate Change,
Daniel W. E. Holt.
- The Voluntariness of Voluntary Consent:
Consent Searches and the Psychology of Compliance,
Roseanna Sommers and Vanessa K. Bohns.
- Examining Racial Disparities in Criminal Case Outcomes among Indigent Defendants in San Francisco
Quattrone Center for the Fair Administration of Justice.
- The Prison Industrial Complex:
Mapping Private Sector Players,
- Are Private Prisons to Blame for Mass Incarceration and Its Evils?
Prison Conditions, Neoliberalism, and Public Choice,
- Applying a racial equity lens to fines and fees in the District of Columbia
D.C. Policy Center.
- The Determinants of Declining Racial Disparities in Female Incarceration Rates, 2000-2015
Samuel L. Myers, Jr., William J. Sabol, and Man Xu.
- Report on the Bronx 120 Mass
Babe Howell and Priscilla Bustamante.
- Girls in the Juvenile Justice System
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.